This section contains information on the website, updates and deleted failures.
December 19, 2018Added new maps
- Added new maps by lighting of Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden..
- Grid maps for Poland have been modified.
April 9, 2018Added new maps
- Added new maps by lighting of Greece.
- An enlarged map of atmospheric discharges of the central part of Spain and Portugal has been added.
April 6, 2018A significant update of the maps.
- All maps on the website have been updated on better-quality maps.
- New maps for Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, France and Luxembourg have been added.
- The area of the map of Europe has been enlarged, from now on it will cover all of Europe.
- Maps of small neighboring countries have been merged into larger maps. Small maps were not practical and little was visible. For this reason, the current maps of Croatia and Slovenia have been shown on a larger map together with the newly added map of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Connected to larger maps of Slovakia and Hungary. Netherlands with newly added maps of Belgium and Luxembourg.
April 23, 2017Added new maps
- Added new maps by lighting of Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland.
March 26, 2017Added new maps
- Added new maps by lighting of Hungary.
March 12, 2017Added new maps
- Added new maps by lighting of Spain and Portugal.
February 4, 2017Added new maps
- Added new maps by lighting of British Isles.
February 21, 2016
- Added the option to automatically positioning and refresh the web page in "Locate storm". This option should appeal to traveling users.
- Fixed option to automatically refresh weather maps on touch devices.
September 30, 2015
- Added new maps by lighting of Italy.
September 2, 2015The new list of modifications.
- Added new rays of 150, 200, 250, 300 km to the option lightning.
- Added active link to "Show my position on the map" which redirects to the "Locate storm".
- Added support for accounts points in promosms.pl
June; July; August, 2015Over the past few months, it would be conducted, larger and smaller works on the website. Below is a list of the more significant additions and modifications.
- Updated option warning of weather hazards. Each warning has individual hour duration.
- Adjusted option "Locate storm" to a new form of warning of weather hazards.
- Adjusted API option for a new form of warning of weather hazards.
- Added option to specify positions on weather maps. This option is based on a built-in feature in the web browser. Its accuracy depends on the device localization, the type of Internet connection.
- Modified select locations with the ability to manually determine the location on the map.
- Added an option to counting lightning in the area of the selected map. This option works well in the archive.
April 4, 2015
- Added new maps by lighting of Slovenia.
March 29, 2015A lot of time was carried out work on these additives. Thousands of hours creating concepts, code, conduct tests on a number of multi-threaded data archival and data online to see if it works and it is :
- Added display groups and intensity of lightings on the map
- Added display direction and speed of storm cloud movement on the map.
A few examples of how it would look: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
August 15, 2014
- Added new maps by lighting of Croatia.
- Added new maps by lighting of Netherlands.
May 2, 2014
- Added new function API.
February 22, 2014Another new maps
- Added new maps by lighting of Czech.
- Added new maps by lighting of Slovakia.
December 28, 2013The storm season is still far ahead of us but works are progressing.
- As a result of requests to add new maps by lighting of other countries. I'm starting from our western neighbors. I give your disposal a new map of Germany. Features offered on these maps are the same as on the maps of Poland.
December 7, 2013Small useful supplement
- The option "configuration" has been updated. "Time zone" link has been added. SMS alert messages will include the selected time zone.
November 14, 2013As a result of a growing interest of foreign users in the website, it was translated into English. From now on users are able to choose the language of alert messages sent from the website.
July 5, 2013I have launched a new feature on the website with a slight delay, though. Updates and changes should be a delight for users who have an interest in examining maps .
Updates and changes launched on the website:
- New maps have been introduced. They enable zooming in the territory of Poland (Northwest, Northeast, Southwest, Southwest and central Poland).
- Detailed data displayed on the map of Poland has been improved
- Layout of the map of Poland has been changed. From now on drainage system is substituted with main roads, which should simplify positioning of one’s location on the map.
- Display of locations’ captions on maps has been changed.
- The number of cities on the main map of Poland has been limited. Location of small towns placed in the vicinity of big cities has been deleted. Maps presenting enlarged fragments of Poland contain all cities of the given region. The hereby change should make it easier to use this option.
- New maps have been added to the archive. They include a division into specific regions of Poland (north-west, north-east, south-west, south-west and central Poland).
- Data-transfer limit for transferring data to the archive has been canceled. From now on all data is transferred to the archive in real time. Prior to the update, data gathered in a given day was sent to the archive at 5 a.m.
- The option "Locate Storm" has been updated. It now enables users to save the name of the last browsed place.
- The possibility of adding a description in the title of the alert message.
- "Find my location" link has been added. The option should be helpful for mobile users who want to check weather conditions in their area.
- New ranges of minimal intervals between cloud-to-earth lighting alerts have been added. From now on a minimal, zero interval can be defined, instead of 30 minutes intervals prior to the update.
May 23, 2013I am applying few slight changes now. I am still working on two extended updates which may appear in couple of weeks .
Changes applied in the current version of the website:
- The possibility to access the website through encrypted connection has been added.
- Another provider of a SMS gateway offering the best conditions of use (promosms.pl) has been added. In the future, when no obstacles occur, new providers (only the best ones, meaning, with the best offer) will be introduced on the website. It will provide more options to choose from.
- Because of the possible problems with a proper time of delivering an alert message which may occur in few GSM networks, I have introduced an option which enables users to choose the type of the SMS message (economic or standard) sent by the current SMS gateway provider (gsmservice.pl). For more details go to "SMS Alerts" section (questions and answers) and "Configuration" section.
- Alert messages now contain an activation code and time at which SMS was sent. The time specified in the message is given in UTC standard (no time-zone specification). In order to obtain a local time, 2 hours have to be added (summer time) or 1 hour has to be added (winter time) to the time specified in the SMS message.
February 10, 2013After a long break I have provided you, dear users, with new options on the website. The storm season is still far ahead of us but works are progressing in order to start the season without a delay and with a bunch of new, handy functions .
Changes applied in the current version of the website:
- Possibility of browsing the archival data has been created. This option enables viewing static and animated maps of Poland and Europe. Additionally, it is possible to generate an aggregated table with data from a given location. The table will contain the following information: analysis from the quarter of a hour and number of lightnings detected within a given radius around the location specified by the user, the closest lightning, direction towards the closest lightning. Generated Maps and text files can cover the span of maximum 24 hours (from midnight to midnight). Data gathered during the day of website’s operation are archived late at night. The archive contains information saved between August 4, 2012 and present time. This option is active for registered users.
- Displaying of lightings on the animated maps has been changed. The graphics representing every quarter of a hour when the lightning occurs is indicated in the separate box of the image. The color of the graphics representing certain quarter of a hour has not been changed. The update is made to improve the clarity of the website. It is achieved by simplifying the method of tracing storms and, simultaneously, by enabling automatic customization of date and time set to match the time zone of the user.
August 4, 2012After a few weeks of work, the new version of the website has been launched. I hope that this time all of the functions will be stable and that they will not cause any more problems . This is the list of updates that have been made for the new version of the website:
- Maps of Poland and Europe have been enlarged by 23%
- The accuracy of lighting indication and the time of the strike has been improved on the map.
- Captioning of voivodeship’s capitals has been launched on the map presenting lighting and severe weather alerts in Poland.
- Inaccuracy in displaying data on maps in the former place of date index has been removed.
- E-mail/SMS alerts section has been extended. The existing list of functions which determine minimal number of lightnings required to send the alert has been changed from 1, 5, 10, 15 etc. strikes to 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,15,20 etc. strikes.
- When selecting the location in the e-mail/SMS alerts section, information concerning coordinates of the picked location is opted out in the alert message.
- The problem of covering the date index on the map by lighting displayed in the nearby of the date index has been removed.
- The option which provides severe weather alerts (frost, heat, wind, precipitation, storm, tornado) has been launched for a selected location and coordinates of the location in "Locate Storm" section.
- The scope of "Locate Storm" section has been widened. It now covers not only the territory of Poland but also bordering areas and the entire Europe along with part of Northern Africa and East Asia.
- The scope of locations selected for monitoring by the e-mail/SMS alert system has been widened. It now covers not only the territory of Poland and bordering areas but also the entire Europe along with part of Northern Africa and East Asia.
- The locating option which excluded locations outside Poland and bordering areas has been deleted. From now on it is possible to select a location across the entire Europe along with part of Northern Africa and East Asia.
- The option which enables receiving information on updates launched on the website has been added. The option can be accessed in "Configuration" section after logging in.
- Minor failures has been deleted. Also, clarity of the box in "For Webmasters" section has been improved.
- Time index has been configured in UTC (time zone is not specified). From now on, in order to specify local time (Polish time – translator’s note), 2 hours (summer time) or 1 hour (winter time) have to be added to the time displayed on the map.
August 1, 2012Today an attempt has been made to launch a new version of the website. Unfortunately after multiple attempts and 3 hours – during which script instability has been detected, which hindered deleting of failures – the decision has been made to withdraw the script in order to remove detected failures. I hereby apologize to you for the resulting inconvenience.
July 3, 2012The following options has been deactivated permanently because of the massive traffic on the website:
- photo gallery
- captioning of location’s names on storm report map and severe weather alert map. This option will be launched in different form: it will be less overloaded, more efficient and clearer. Unfortunately, the deleted option lacked precision – displaying over 900 cities on such a small map was pointless.
I know that some of the users got used to the deleted option, however I do hope that the increase of efficiency of the website and the new option to be launched in the new version of the website will compensate for these inconveniences. Currently, the new webpage is being tested.
- The option created for registering the number of lightnings is still active and can be accessed in Locate Storm section.
June 9, 2012A closer cooperation with Blitzortung.org which aims at improving accuracy and quality of storm report map was established over a month ago. The work on launching a storm detection station in the vicinity of Warsaw is progressing for some time now. At the moment station is being tested. I hope the result of this project will be the improvement of maps’ accuracy. Building of that station cost me a lot of hard work, stress, time involved and a quite large amount of money. Hope it pays . Currently, implementation of database from the newly established system is in progress.